Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 2

I  got to spend some time at SafeHouse Outreach today. SafeHouse Outreach is an urban outreach committed to affecting real change in the lives of those in the margins of society, by providing a hand up, not just a hand out. SafeHouse provides practical, emotional, and physical assistance to those living in the margins, and helps integrate them back into society – to lead healthy, functional lives.

A church group was there tonight providing service and dinner so I got to talk with a couple of the folks visiting SafeHouse. I met a lady who kept thanking me for being there as a volunteer and she kept expressing her gratitude for what the volunteers do for her and what SafeHouse has given her. It was my first day there (it was a little intimidating) and I didn't think I really did much, but for her, just engaging in a conversation with her and acknowledging her made a difference. SafeHouse almost provides a sense of family for the people who go there and I'm hoping that as I spend more time there they will feel more comfortable sharing their experiences with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment