Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 120

I'm always asked how/where I got the idea for Project 365. For the most part, the idea of giving back every single day was an overnight kinda idea, but the idea to give back and make a difference came from elsewhere.

I love reading and really wanted a good book to read one night. My brother, Jiten, shoved his college world literature books my way. The first one I read - Not for Sale by David Batstone. I couldn't put this one down. I was so moved by the stories - I knew I wanted to start making a difference in my world. So today Jiten and I attended an awareness/fundraiser 5k walk hosted by the Not for Sale campaign.

Slavery is not a thing of the past, the global slave trade is still very prevalent and is closer to us than we think. In fact, Atlanta ranks #13 in the WORLD for human trafficking of women and children! Atlanta is possibly one of the biggest hubs for underage sex trafficking in the U.S. - 500 girls are trafficked for sex each month, servicing 7200 men. Further, each weekend, between 100 and 150 girls are "raped for profit," a phrasing that stresses the true horror of this crime: not only are girls violently raped, but money changes hands for that rape to occur.

Change starts with awareness. And now we all need to take action to help re-abolish slavery!

Doing the Cupid Shuffle as we warm up for the walk

No comments:

Post a Comment