Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 134

Continuing on with my SafeHouse run (since I won't be able to go this coming week, again!), I spent some time this evening talking with one of the ladies who comes by. I hadn't seen her there all week so it was catch up time. She told me she was trying to get into an apartment and is hoping that will happen in the next 2-3weeks...keeping my fingers crossed for her :)

We also talked about different programs in the city and the ways in which they help the homeless. She shared that she thought some of these programs enabled the homeless instead of empowering them. We talked about what an ideal program would be, and how communities can help homeless people get off the streets. The recurring theme from what she was saying: a lot of follow up. She talked to me about people taking advantage of the system and breaking the rules, which then messes up the program for those who are really trying to get their lives together. She had an interesting point of view, hoping to hear more from her soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment