Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 259

Sidewalk Graffiti on the lot
Finally back at SafeHouse!! It's been a bit of a stressful day and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to focus on the conversations today. But once I got there, all the stress from the day kinda took a back seat.

I walked on to a lot filled with cars and people, it was a little overwhelming. But I saw the familiar faces and just started at the gate with greeting people. I made my way further in and had a great catch up conversation with one gentleman. We talked about giving, meditation, my upcoming retreat, and our comfort with silence. He's a favorite to talk to and I'm glad I got to talk to him for a while.

I then went on to one of my promised conversations from yesterday. This gentleman shared his troubles with me and then told me how he fixed them or planned to fix them. We talked about life and laughing and why the latter is so important.

Once service started I sat with a group of people and just listened. They were sharing gossip about the different relationships people are in, they shared stories of different people walking by, and just hung out. It was a little cold today so I took some sweaters with me and handed out a few to anyone who needed one.

Before I left for the evening I had a conversation with one gentleman who was a little down and shared with me that he was disappointed with himself and how sometimes he didn't think he was making progress in getting off the streets. He shared that he is currently in grad school - I was very impressed and told him how proud I am of him. We talked about setting goals and taking the little steps to get to those goals, and that sometimes we take a wrong step, but you don't give up, you just take a step back and try again.

Before I really left for the evening, I saw the gentleman who I always clean up with. So we walked around and cleaned the lot and street together, while also catching up on each others lives. He is doing well, just as positive as always, and still smiling - he's a joy to spend time with!

Looking forward to tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment